Limit the amount of possible clients opened at once

• ok, i don't think i need to go in details why alt abuse is bad.. anyone who has a functioning brain and played this game for a while should know.
    but, just in case there is might be some special cases around here (which there is) let me quickly go through why it's bad, it includes but not limited to the following:
    - creates too much gold (from ic, aot, and many other methods)
    - ruins a lot of supposedly "fun" and cooperative activities (things like -again- ic, aot, rcb, minigame raids, and others)
    - makes everything too easy with full buffs (which keeps on increasing more and more with new sp releases)

- turns the game into solo offline game instead of multiplayer game

... and more, but as i said i will not go too much in depth about this

let's get to my suggestion: limiting the amount of possible game clients opened at once
    and i'll make it clear, this is NOT about limiting the amount of game to be made/owned. this is just about how many them can be opened at the same time.

i prefer the limit to be 1 only, but also see 2 as still being ok. any more than that and it would be significantly worse.

this is also the prefect opportunity to utilize this whole master account/new launcher thing after forcing everyone to use it. and obviously using any 3rd party software that makes the player able to open more than the limit would be against the rules.

this will fix like a lot of issues that makes the game not as enjoyable. (all that would remain if this is implemented is reducing p2w and amount of boring grind, but that's a topic for another day)

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    The Multiaccount treason and plot
    I know of no reason

Why the Multiaccount treason
    Should ever be forgot

• Incoming ; too hard to implement, would affect the server economy, the players that made a living by abusing alts would quit in mass numbers, yada yada.

I 100% agree with your suggestion, if it was me i would just restrict any alts usage alltogheter, in order to make the implementation easier.

But i can also agree with the restriction to 2 alts,its a start.

~All the things she said ~
    ~All the things she said~
    ~Running through my head~

• I 100% agree with your suggestion, if it was me i would just restrict any alts usage alltogheter, in order to make the implementation easier.

But i can also agree with the restriction to 2 alts,its a start.

just a quick note, i have not mentioned "alts" in my suggestion but rather clients. so, i'm not suggesting 1 or 2 "alts" in addition to a "main". i'm saying that i suggest a maximum of 1 or 2 clients in total (whether it's an alt or main or whatever, does not matter to me). with my preference being on 1 only, as i think that would the most optimal.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• just a quick note, i have not mentioned "alts" in my suggestion but rather clients. so, i'm not suggesting 1 or 2 "alts" in addition to a "main". i'm saying that i suggest a maximum of 1 or 2 clients in total (whether it's an alt or main or whatever, does not matter to me). with my preference being on 1 only, as i think that would the most optimal.

Sure but you catch my drift, you can't play with more characters without opening multiple clients, right ?

• Sure but you catch my drift, you can't play with more characters without opening multiple clients, right ?

you would be able to play as many characters as you want, just not more than 1 (or 2) at the same time.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• I cant really say that I don't personally agree nor that is not something I haven't suggested myself before. (This is actually exactly what I had suggested bout 2 years ago or something)

Just to make it clear it would be literally an insane amount of work to limit the alts now so Gandalof Vendetta is correct to suggest the clients instead.

In theory if that were to pass somehow it will be 3 to 4 clients limit open at the same time. (This is a personal assumption)

Again this post is completely my own personal opinion on the matter.

• IMHO, the issue with alt abuse is irreversible. They f* up at the moment they had decided to allow alts, why?

1. If GF enforced your suggestions, it would create a big disparity between players who did use alt and who didn’t. With supply demand logic, I postulate that items’ price would skyrocket, players who didn’t abuse alt won’t be able to afford as with the same money, the buying power reduces, it would take a very long time to balance the ideal price point.
    2. player who did abuse alts could not earn items such as perfection stone, although some people I know who abuse alts dislike using alts, it is their way to keep up when using alts is fair and legal. I am too tired to elaborate more now but my point is, both side would not be happy with this.
    3. There will be no FC Raid without alts. If they decided to follow your suggestion, I hope related arrangement could be done for FC Raid.
    4. The efficacy of limiting the number of client is low. In 2019, laptop is very cheap, let say GF limit 2 clients, if I have 2 laptops, then I can open 4, let alone there will be software that breaches the limited number of client. It won’t make any change to me unless the game rules are changed, which require edfortful enforcement, and something you can’t expect from GF.

Again I am on your side that alt abuse is bad to the game, I really hate alts in rcb and aot.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Marki ().

• The efficacy of limiting the number of client is low. In 2019, laptop is very cheap, let say GF limit 2 clients, if I have 2 laptops, then I can open 4, let alone there will be software that breaches the limited number of client. It won’t make any change to me unless the game rules are changed, which require edfortful enforcement, and something you can’t expect from GF.

In this theory if the limit happened we would simply update the rules accordingly. Something like "Each person is allowed to only use 3 clients at the same time" (or whatever the limit would be)

• you would be able to play as many characters as you want, just not more than 1 (or 2) at the same time.

That what i also meant, should had been more precise.

1. If GF enforced your suggestions, it would create a big disparity between players who did use alt and who didn’t. With supply demand logic, I postulate that items’ price would skyrocket, players who didn’t abuse alt won’t be able to afford as with the same money, the buying power reduces, it would take a very long time to balance the ideal price point.

This is a valid point.

• IMHO, the issue with alt abuse is irreversible. They f* up at the moment they had decided to allow alts, why?

was solo ic abuse "irreversible"? was cali raid giving rep "irreversible"? was anything that has action points system now (like fc raids, minigame raids) "irreversible"?

If GF enforced your suggestions, it would create a big disparity between players who did use alt and who didn’t. With supply demand logic, I postulate that items’ price would skyrocket, players who didn’t abuse alt won’t be able to afford as with the same money, the buying power reduces, it would take a very long time to balance the ideal price point.

in the short run it will be a mess, in the long run.. it will be fine.

while yes, initially it would be "unfair" because those who have accumulated massive amounts of gold.. eventually that gold is going to be depleted and the market will reach an equilibrium in the long run and prices will be re-adjusted based on the amount of gold that can be farmed using new methods.

it would somewhat similar to ic changes (except on a much grander scale with different connetations) where it was "unfair" because of the people who easily got their cards to +15 and lots of gold by doing solo ic, but on the other hand woa price became so cheap that a player could easily catch up and get their cards +15 pretty easily too.

player who did abuse alts could not earn items such as perfection stone

not an inherent issue of this idea. if getting perf stones become too hard to obtain, they could be made easier. and similar thing with the +15 cards with solo ic, people would be able to catch up and get their +100.

There will be no FC Raid without alts. If they decided to follow your suggestion, I hope related arrangement could be done for FC Raid.

again, not an inherent issue of this idea. a bad system that doesn't work anymore could be changed. i believe bringing back point system instead of current rep to enter raids would fix this issue. (there is a suggestion thread about FC too if you wanna take look at it, this idea and more was discussed there).

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• I mean people started to create multiclients and using sandboxie or processexplorer because we had the limitation to only start nostale once, per "instance", nowadays people can just go and create a new virtual desktop via windows 10 (default feature if you have a valid windows 10 version) and start the game a second time.

The only way to fix this would be to change the rule that you are not allowed to have more than 3 clients online at the same time. (But even here there are different methods to get around it, as example you could just use another notebook or laptop if you have one to start, there are also ways to use multiple IPs with only one computer so there's that.)

Even though I don't like the super abuse of all this multiaccount stuff I dont think we can change this anymore, in this state of the game.

• I mean people started to create multiclients and using sandboxie or processexplorer because we had the limitation to only start nostale once, per "instance", nowadays people can just go and create a new virtual desktop via windows 10 (default feature if you have a valid windows 10 version) and start the game a second time.

The only way to fix this would be to change the rule that you are not allowed to have more than 3 clients online at the same time.

wow.. how did you manage to figure out this fantastic solution??! i would have never thought of coming up with that myself!

(But even here there are different methods to get around it, as example you could just use another notebook or laptop if you have one to start, there are also ways to use multiple IPs with only one computer so there's that.)

the same could be said about any hacker or gold seller or any other rule violators, they could use methods to get around being caught. does that mean you should just give up on it?

and i'm pretty sure in general, an alt abuser would be very easy to spot.

Even though I don't like the super abuse of all this multiaccount stuff I dont think we can change this anymore, in this state of the game.

it is very much possible, action point system for example helped remedy this issue a bit but it is far from being a cure. it is not enough and very lacking but, it was a step in the right direction.

if you truly want to change the game for better, you need to get rid of "there is no point in trying, it's too late, we're already doomed" mentality. because it's not too late, it's never too late. (and this is for everyone, not just dany)

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• I would say its kinda too late for this suggestion, because gameforge allowed it for so long and then suddenly decides to take it back? That sounds silly and unlikely. They would have to try very hard to convince why the sudden change of decision after so many years of allowing multi accounts and people who made many alts already will be mad at gameforge most likely.

Personally I don't mind much about this alt "issue" though cause it requires more effort to play the game with so many alts open at the same time (Although its faster to grind, but it makes ur gaming less chill having to perform more actions).

Yes, it does make the game a bit silly, when people are trying to open more and more alts to grind for something. But there are actually good things about allowing alts, for example, it makes some people more committed to the game (if alts were not allowed or reduced, you will see more afkers in nosville because they will probably think theres nothing worth their time in the game). So of course having more things that will be worthy of the effort to more committed players is important in my opinion. Im not saying that there isnt anything other things in nostale that is worthy to do (there are raids, just not easy to get people at certain time), but alts is currently one of the most worthy things to do for more hardcore players.

I wouldn't be against it though, because i personally prefer more chill gaming (especially with my busy schedules nowadays) It would be nice to make everyone unable to progress too quickly just by making tons of alts so i won't come back and suddenly some newcomer is x10 richer than me? Just a thought, I dont mind though to be honest xD You do you. What people does or achieve really doesnt matter. Just have fun :)

• Sadly, even if UK community has years with this issue, other communities had a limit for the amount of accounts that players were allowed to use at the same time. During the past year, before the first round of server merges, this rule was deleted and now they are allowed to play with unlimited accounts too.

The change was done to have similar rules in all Gameforge communities. That said, once that the limit was removed from other communities you reached a point of no return: Can't be changed anymore.

Ofc, that's only my personal opinion.

• This is a nice suggestion in my opinion, it can make the official Nos server(s) more active again.. 😄

Heh, if the players cry about how it would be unfair, start (ANOTHER ONE) a new server. And fix/add a few things while we're at it. Gg wp. Even without the creation of Nostale EU (such an original name, I know), it would actually pay off in the long term, like you (Vendetta) said. I'm aware that it is hard to implement such things BUT..... nah, I'll leave it for now as I want to make this as short as possible.

Let's just create a GoFundme, Patreon account or something else (you get the idea) and gather some money, buy the rights of the damn game and make NosTale great. (It might be a dumb idea, but o well.)

• oh boy, i feel like a broken record at this point

I would say its kinda too late for this suggestion, because gameforge allowed it for so long and then suddenly decides to take it back? That sounds silly and unlikely.

again i repeat, a lot of things were there for "so long" that got changed. i don't see why something that's been there for a long time "cannot be changed"

IC didn't have action point system for so long, yet was changed.

FC had point system for so long (also no action points), yet was changed.

there was no exp buff for 1-80 for so long, yet was changed.

LoD was available from lvl1 for so long, yet was changed.

RCB well.. was pretty much the same for so long, yet was changed.

items in inv was stacked to maximum of 99 for so long, yet was changed.

skillbar/hotbar was only 1 line for so long, yet was changed.

parchments for 95/96 eq were hard to get at first, yet was changed.

... and there are probably more examples.

so many things were there for so long, but that never prevented the game from changing and evolving. and i'm not sure why it would an "issue" for this case either.

They would have to try very hard to convince why the sudden change of decision after so many years of allowing multi accounts and people who made many alts already will be mad at gameforge most likely.

lul. when was the last time GF tried to convince any player with any update or anything at all?

that's not how GF works.

But there are actually good things about allowing alts, for example, it makes some people more committed to the game (if alts were not allowed or reduced, you will see more afkers in nosville because they will probably think theres nothing worth their time in the game).

i would say it's quite the opposite actually. there are "less" things to do because of alts.

well.. it's not actually less but, with alts it's faster to get max lvl, max upgrades on eqs and sps...etc. so the player achieves this point of "there's nothing to do" much faster with alts.

The change was done to have similar rules in all Gameforge communities. That said, once that the limit was removed from other communities you reached a point of no return: Can't be changed anymore.

why has it reached a point of no return? again, refer to the things i mentioned earlier in this post. none of them apparently reached this "point of no return", and i don't see how this (or anything at all) could reach that point.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• why has it reached a point of no return? again, refer to the things i mentioned earlier in this post. none of them apparently reached this "point of no return", and i don't see how this (or anything at all) could reach that point.

I think Steffie mostly meant there that considering other communities had a limit and Gameforge decided to remove the limit instead of putting a limit on the communities that did not have a limit kinda shows what direction they wanna walk on.

Sure they could do a 180 turn, will they though?

• I think Steffie mostly meant there that considering other communities had a limit and Gameforge decided to remove the limit instead of putting a limit on the communities that did not have a limit kinda shows what direction they wanna walk on.

i understand that. that direction was already clear to me by the addition of the new launcher and master account.

i still don't see why it has reached "the point of no return" though.

Sure they could do a 180 turn, will they though?

unlikely. but as unlikely as it is, it's better to put this out there than do nothing and just complain.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• i still don't see why it has reached "the point of no return" though.

Because it isn't, that's why I said above it would just take some decent amount of work probably.

The only thing that would be a point of no return is limiting the alts, since we would need to get rid of all the extra alt accounts people made, but considering this is not what you are suggesting then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Even limiting the alts isn't an actual "point of no return", but the amount of work would really be insane in that case)