The flaws of forum WBB5 "upgrade"

• Greetings, this is a thread that i have created to talk about the bad things and flaws of this WBB5 downgrade. spoiler alert: the good new things don't make up for the horrendous flaws in both functionality and design. but hey, that's just my opinion. and i would like to hear from you! yes, YOU... on about what you agree or disagree with me on. and feel free to add anything else that i have not mentioned (whether it's positive or negative) if you wish to do so.

anyway, without further ado.. here is my list:

-The arrow buttons:

G8zpfOm.png

dPJGo7j.png

for those of you who didn't know, these nice lil neat buttons used to bring you from top to bottom of the page and vice versa in 1 simple click. i really liked them and used them regularly (especially the "go to top" one), it was really convenient especially in a page where there were long posts. and yes, i know i can use the scroll bar to quickly go to the top or bottom of the page but, these buttons were faster and more accessible

edit: apparently the "go to top" is still there, only i do not have it for some reason.

-"Quoting":

oh lord.. how do i even begin to address this.. it became really horrible and even annoying, i'll try to stay composed and explain all the issues i have with it to the best of my ability.

1- when you press "quote" on a post it will instantly bring you down to the reply box, it's really annoying when u want to quote multiple posts and you have to constantly scroll up.

2- it used to include the whole post by default, meaning that quotes within quotes were there just by pressing 1 button. which was great because you get context included without any hassle. now it only takes what the user wrote in their post without the quotes in said post. you can manually edit in more quotes in the quote sure, but let's be real.. it's very inconvenient to do so. (im not sure if that made any sense, but anyone who used the forum before the downgrade should understand what im talking about)

edit: you can't even edit in more quotes inside a quote, i thought it was possible because you could do it in the post editor. but when you post the quotes inside just disappear.

-Colour collaboration/contracts against each other is HORRIBLE:

in this case, i think it's better to just show you:

qVOeZNZ.png

7Po5QLy.png

uNqVwsh.png

ggRIe4I.png

AMIiSOQ.png

i think that's enough to get my point across.

-Change style/ current time:

on the bottom right of the page there used to be an option to change the style of the forum, and it showed you what the current time is. i'm making this point mainly for the chnage style feature but thought i would mention the time too cus it's another feature that is gone now.

YybGMnR.png

in DE there is 3 styles to chose from

8JKVUhf.png

in EN we only had the nostale and GF one (because of course, we are always being discriminated against). the default one that you all should be familiar with was the nostale one obviously, and in my opinion the GF style one was pretty cool and i did actually change to it few times.

- Broken on mobile:

im not gonna go into too much detail, because it's a thread on its own. but basically it's broken on mobile and just doesn't work well. the previous version did not have any of the issues this current has right now.

- The background: (brought to you by friends111 check out the rest of his post)

The background is awfuly added: the 100% black footer covers it abruptly, the background of user info in post's section is just repeated - and that looks awful. The main background also is fixed, so when you zoom out the page, it also zooms out and most of the page is just black (empty).

-The top "links" bar:

it used to be like this:

Tzbx71K.png

now it looks like this:

w5Vneez.png

the only positive thing might be that the current one will appear for everywhere you are instead of the previous one where it was only at the top of the page. however, first it looks worse. and second, few things that i'd consider really important are missing. for example: links to support and irc.

that's all i have for now. and as i said earlier, i would like hear from you what are things you agree or disagree with me on. and things you like or dislike about this downgrade. all opinions are welcome.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    The Multiaccount treason and plot
    I know of no reason

Why the Multiaccount treason
    Should ever be forgot

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vendetta ().

• anyway, without further ado.. here is my list:

-The arrow buttons:

for those of you who didn't know, these nice lil neat buttons used to bring you from top to bottom of the page and vice versa in 1 simple click. i really liked them and used them regularly (especially the "go to top" one), it was really convenient especially in a page where there were long posts. and yes, i know i can use the scroll bar to quickly go to the top or bottom of the page but, these buttons were faster and more accessible.

The arrow to go to the top is still there right bottom corner but yes the arrow to go down has left this earth.

the only positive thing might be that the current one will appear for everywhere you are instead of the previous one where it was only at the top of the page. however, first it looks worse. and second, few things that i'd consider really important are missing. for example: links to support and irc.

That will be fixed since those links are indeed important so this part is a matter of time rly.

Overall I agree with the rest, the colors need some serious re-work. And I hope we can somehow get the old quote system if possible.

• Untitled.png

It is not there for you? now that's weird.

what kind of black magic are you using? i just checked in all of my browsers, it's not there on any of them

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• what kind of black magic are you using?

Agreed. What kind of time magic are you using to write so much stuff lately?

ontopic:

-Colour collaboration/contracts against each other is HORRIBLE:

absolutely agreed. I have to use dark mode feature in google chrome to hide all the bad design (contrasts and such)

• Umm , i can confirm what Morgoth said, the arrow is still here for me.

z0Ewa6P.png

why does it not appear to meeeee ;(

i checked over my settings too just in case it was an option, but nothing seems to be there. is this perhaps a curse for betraying chaos?

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• why does it not appear to meeeee ;(

i checked over my settings too just in case it was an option, but nothing seems to be there. is this perhaps a curse for betraying chaos?

More like Margie curse for allying with Choas in the first place, lul.^^

~All the things she said ~
    ~All the things she said~
    ~Running through my head~

• I prefered the forum in it's original state ngl.
    Mostly because i'm not a fan of change.

The last forum before this update was tolerable and "okay" at best, but i hardly chose to visit it because it just seemed ridiculous to me.

now it's a mess lul.

• I hate when they change something that dosent need a change just for the sake of it or some silly reason.

I'll explain to you the same thing that I had to explain in other forums. Though I will reply in this thread because the other one isn't about the forum.

The developer of our forum is Woltlab. Woltlab is, of course, is improving and creating new services and that means that the old services/softwares/systems will be considered obsolete after a time, just like it happens everytime Windows creates a new OS, for example. And when that happens, though it isn't done immediately, the developers decide that they won't continue updating the previous versions of their product. In our case, Woltlab decided that we (WBB4 users) would only receive limited support due to security reasons. (This is of course, public information that is available in their official forum)

It may sound funny, because there's a lot of people using Windows XP without a single problem and they don't get hacked just like that, but when you stop receiving updates to solve security issues or fix any possibility of getting hacked in a new way or with a new virus, you have a problem, same happens if you stop receiving updates to solve bugs. Also, you have to take in count that EVENTUALLY an old system/software will be considered obsolete for other things too and it might lead to compatibility problems. For example, Nostale, that is pretty much an old game, doesn't support certain versions of Windows or at least, the company doesn't guarantee the game will work in those OS anymore.

"Normal" persons can play with their security as much as they want, because "normal" persons USUALLY are not considered targets and if they have a problem, it will only affect that single person and that person will deal with the consequences of those decisions. But we're talking about a company with hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of players and that means that it will always be a target and has sensitive information that shouldn't be available for third parties, because the company is responsible for your information, in all the meanings of the word. Does that mean that your information was vulnerable in the previous version? No, it wasn't, as I stated, WBB4 version still has support due to security reasons, but a company can't just say "Well, it is safe now, lets stay like this until something happens". They have to prevent these things from happening, if it is in their hands.

I do agree with the fact that this style, the colours, everything about it is horrible or doesn't show as it should, and I'm sure they will try to fix it asap. But if you ask me, was it really necessary? Yes, it was. Security > Style. Always. *Severus Snape intesifies*

• Fair enough i guess. Thanks for telling, at least SOMEBODY isn't slacking off with an explanation. (And no Morgie, simply saying it was necessary dosen't count).

Still , they could try better.

• Fair enough i guess. Thanks for telling, at least SOMEBODY isn't slacking off with an explanation.AvbvYaU.png (And no Morgie, simply saying it was necessary dosen't count).

poor modgoth, always gets the blame for some reason. at least he gave an answer, and remember he is only a mod. meanwhile we haven't heard ANYTHING from the super board moderator and board admin. it's sad when a non-mod has to take their place. but that's how nostale en forums works (inb4 "we did stuff behind the scenes" excuse)

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• Fair enough i guess. Thanks for telling, at least SOMEBODY isn't slacking off with an explanation.AvbvYaU.png (And no Morgie, simply saying it was necessary dosen't count).

Pretty much details that wouldn't be my place to know or concern me because you know, I am not forum admin. whistle.png

I only just knew it was necessary so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So Gandalof is right... (Here is your like because you don't care about me just saying it)

• Not the case. You had some questions about the matter and I provided the information that I had to help you, nothing else.

ok i didn't literally mean to take their place as in do all their duties, i just meant it as this info should've been delivered to us by our smod/board admin that we have not heard from at all since the "upgrade". but instead, we got it from you.. who isn't even a mod on here and have no obligation to do so whatsoever.

and don't be mistaken, we are thankful for you. it was just a criticism to them and none of it to you, if they care enough they could defend themselves.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot

• it was just a criticism to them and none of it to you, if they care enough they could defend themselves.

Rexxar is forgiven because he is still new. <3

• ulgh so hard to read on this skin x.x

I use chrome and the 'page top" button seems to be fine for me. the down arrow seems to be missing. Which browser do you use?

First part it doesn't force me to the bottom of the screen sometimes but other times it does. I can't seem to replicate it properly.

The whole post it seems to not show it in the post its self after you post but you can read it by "display more"

I also am having issues edited in the quotes. ALl i have found is to edit the quote then requote.

All of these are my complaints as well x.x

Ima go continue dieing to this sinus infection now. x.x

• I use chrome and the 'page top" button seems to be fine for me. the down arrow seems to be missing. Which browser do you use?

it's my fault on this one i guess. i think it's because some of my add-ons somehow preventing it. because it doesn't show up on my firefox and chrome but it's perfectly fine when i tried on edge (but there is no way i'm using that as my default). and other users seem to have it working just fine, so the issue is on my side.

First part it doesn't force me to the bottom of the screen sometimes but other times it does. I can't seem to replicate it properly.

well, it does every time for me. but then again it might be just me on this one too.

The whole post it seems to not show it in the post its self after you post but you can read it by "display more"

err, i guess i didn't word it properly. i just meant it as "quotes within quotes dont work"

I also am having issues edited in the quotes. ALl i have found is to edit the quote then requote.

i'm not sure i follow what you're saying here. but again, the 2nd point was basically just "quotes within quotes dont work" as i said before.

JE6IJuz.png

Remember, remember

The 16th of November
    I know of no reason

Should ever be forgot