let's talk about the forum rules

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• let's talk about the forum rules

hey, so i was considering few things about the current rules of the forums and i wanted to discuss them with you guys. i'll only quote the rules that i want to talk about, but feel free to state your opinion about other rules i didn't mention.

link to forum rules
      link to world of spam rule

Forum Rules:
      If you already have a ban on your account, it is not allowed to create a new account.
      nothing wrong with this, just that it's redundant. because it is already mentioned that you're only allowed to have one account.

If you wish to change your name, please contact us here: Changing your forum nickname
      when is this thread opening again? there is like 100 mods now. and all requests been fulfilled.

The language for this forum is English. Using other languages can cause a warning or temporary and permanent bans. The RU forum areas are exempt from this rule.
      if this includes text in images posted, please state that. also is a phrase or few words in other languages allowed or not?

Inappropriate language and cursing. This includes the use of abbreviated vulgar language, including *** or other censoring in place of vulgar language.
      i personally feel like censoring or abbreviating a "bad word" should be allowed.

Bumping (posting in threads with the sole intention being to push the thread onto the first page of the board) is also not allowed.
      i don't understand why bumping is absolutely not allowed. in all other forums i've been to, it is allowed within certain conditions. (e.g can't bump threads older than X days, can't bump a thread unless X amount have passed.. etc)

Double posting(posting twice in a row in one thread) will be considered as spam and warned accordingly.
      again, i dont really understand this rule. never seen this in other forums. and i'm not sure what this accomplishes. if it's to stop spam then the rule should be changed to something different imo. as there are legitimate reason for a user to make 2 posts in a row that are not considered to be spam.

Animated signatures are allowed if they’re not distracting.
      this is way too vague. how do you define what's distracting? and why would that be even an issue?

World of spam Rules:
      *No double posting within the time period of 24 hours.
      this makes sense for some threads. but imo this shouldn't a rule that applies to the whole world of spam section, see my argument above.
      if a game thread needs this rule for it to function better, then that rule could be added in that thread itself.

Pictures can't exceed measures:
      Height: 400 px

Width: 400 px

and a file size of 100 kb each

It is preferable to link picture or add it like attachment, than posting it.
      maybe this was needed in 2008 when these rules are made? idk. but what i do know that it definitely shouldn't be a rule now in 2019. it isn't even enforced at all (aside from using it as an excuse to target ban) so i feel like this rule should be removed.

and if i may add, i would like a clear statement written in the forum rules about what a mod can and can't do. because it seems like they are allowed to take action against things outside of the rules. i do not mind this, as it allows mods to handle things such as loopholes or just things that by common sense shouldn't be allowed, but the rules have missed it. but please make it clear if a mod can take any action at their own discretion or not.

thank you for reading. and i would like to hear everyone's opinion about this, and from @kitcalie specifically.
      English Gandora the Dragon of Destruction

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

French Gandora le Dragon de la Destruction

German Gandora der Drache der Zerstörung

Italian Gandora, il Drago della Distruzione

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Portuguese Gandora o Dragão da Destruição

Spanish Gandora el Dragón de la Destrucción

Japanese (kana) はかいりゅうガンドラ

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

Other names Crush D. Gandra
    • Really ?
      Thread Clooooooooooooo …… just joking !
      I may want to express my point of view on this but first of all ! I want to give my 100% support to the changes you already proposed which I also agree with !

Gandalof wrote:

Forum Rules:

If you wish to change your name, please contact us here: Changing your forum nickname
      when is this thread opening again? there is like 100 mods now. and all requests been fulfilled. ./
      The language for this forum is English. Using other languages can cause a warning or temporary and permanent bans. The RU forum areas are exempt from this rule.
      if this includes text in images posted, please state that. also is a phrase or few words in other languages allowed or not? ./
      Inappropriate language and cursing. This includes the use of abbreviated vulgar language, including *** or other censoring in place of vulgar language.
      i personally feel like censoring or abbreviating a "bad word" should be allowed. ./
      Bumping (posting in threads with the sole intention being to push the thread onto the first page of the board) is also not allowed.
      i don't understand why bumping is absolutely not allowed. in all other forums i've been to, it is allowed within certain conditions. (e.g can't bump threads older than X days, can't bump a thread unless X amount have passed.. etc) ./
      Double posting(posting twice in a row in one thread) will be considered as spam and warned accordingly.
      again, i dont really understand this rule. never seen this in other forums. and i'm not sure what this accomplishes. if it's to stop spam then the rule should be changed to something different imo. as there are legitimate reason for a user to make 2 posts in a row that are not considered to be spam. ./
      this is way too vague. how do you define what's distracting? and why would that be even an issue? ./ on this one,one explanation of what is *distracting* should suffice.

World of spam Rules:
      this makes sense for some threads. but imo this shouldn't a rule that applies to the whole world of spam section, see my argument above.if a game thread needs this rule for it to function better, then that rule could be added in that thread itself. ./

maybe this was needed in 2008 when these rules are made? idk. but what i do know that it definitely shouldn't be a rule now in 2019. it isn't even enforced at all (aside from using it as an excuse to target ban) so i feel like this rule should be removed. ./

and if i may add, i would like a clear statement written in the forum rules about what a mod can and can't do. because it seems like they are allowed to take action against things outside of the rules. i do not mind this, as it allows mods to handle things such as loopholes or just things that by common sense shouldn't be allowed, but the rules have missed it. but please make it clear if a mod can take any action at their own discretion or not. ./

thank you for reading. and i would like to hear everyone's opinion about this, and from @kitcalie specifically.
      With all of this been said I only want to add something about the double account ban staff.
      I think its necessary for a user to be able to receive some answers post-banned. Therefore if one's account had been banned and the said player simply dosen'tunderstand why or maybe wants a second chance he should had atleast a wayto contact the Mod who banned him to discuss this.So I think a second account shouldn't be banned right away,give it maybe 3 days before proceeding to do so ,so you can explain the person being bad why he was banned and so on. Or if this really wont work atleast give a link where said player should go to discuss his account ban with the Staff at the very least.
      ~All the things she said ~
      ~All the things she said~
      ~Running through my head~
    • Pinkamena wrote:

With all of this been said I only want to add something about the double account ban staff.
      I think its necessary for a user to be able to receive some answers post-banned. Therefore if one's account had been banned and the said player simply dosen'tunderstand why or maybe wants a second chance he should had atleast a wayto contact the Mod who banned him to discuss this.So I think a second account shouldn't be banned right away,give it maybe 3 days before proceeding to do so ,so you can explain the person being bad why he was banned and so on. Or if this really wont work atleast give a link where said player should go to discuss his account ban with the Staff at the very least.
      i've never been banned so i wouldn't know :whistling: but i assume there is a way for banned user to contact the forum team already right? if there isn't, then i dont think making them create a new account is the way to do it.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• As I'm not a Moderator, I'm afraid I can't answer many of these myself. Though I can at least (try) to answer two of the points which are slightly more general.

Pinkamena wrote:

Gandalof wrote:

i've never been banned so i wouldn't know :whistling: but i assume there is a way for banned user to contact the forum team already right? if there isn't, then i dont think making them create a new account is the way to do it.
      Yes, if anyone wishes to object a ban, both on forum or in-game, they can submit a ticket through the Support System to discuss the matter further. Bans can't be discussed outside of tickets for various reasons, so opening a new account wouldn't really be of any use in that sense.

Gandalof wrote:

and if i may add, i would like a clear statement written in the forum rules about what a mod can and can't do. because it seems like they are allowed to take action against things outside of the rules. i do not mind this, as it allows mods to handle things such as loopholes or just things that by common sense shouldn't be allowed, but the rules have missed it. but please make it clear if a mod can take any action at their own discretion or not.
      The problem with defining exactly what powers a particular rank of team member has or going into any depth around the processes used to define potential rule-breaking is that such knowledge can possibly be abused by a small fraction of players to 'get around' the rules and look to avoid punishment. If you are really interested, there is a brief description of the roles of the different team positions here.

About the 'take action against things outside of the rules', I'm not too sure what you mean. If anybody has any significant concerns about a team member(s) impartiality, submitting a ticket would be the best thing to do.
    • Cherish wrote:

As I'm not a Moderator, I'm afraid I can't answer many of these myself. Though I can at least (try) to answer two of the points which are slightly more general.
      you can still voice your personal opinion regardless. this isn't a "question to moderation team" thread, this is an open discussion thread.

Cherish wrote:

The problem with defining exactly what powers a particular rank of team member has or going into any depth around the processes used to define potential rule-breaking is that such knowledge can possibly be abused by a small fraction of players to 'get around' the rules and look to avoid punishment.
      i'm not sure how would anyone would be able to avoid punishment with the knowledge i inquired about.

also one thing to add since you mentioned "players" in what you wrote, so i assume you're talking about this from an in-game gm perspective. i made this thread purely about the forum rules. game rules, gms, players.. or anything else related to the game is not a point of concern in this thread.

Cherish wrote:

If you are really interested, there is a brief description of the roles of the different team positions here.
      that's good to know. thanks

now with that knowledge i can get around the rules and avoid punishment muhahahah.. apparently

Cherish wrote:

About the 'take action against things outside of the rules', I'm not too sure what you mean. If anybody has any significant concerns about a team member(s) impartiality, submitting a ticket would be the best thing to do.
      well.. let me give you this purely hypothetical situation that did not happen at all, it is just an example:

user makes a game thread in world of spam that does not break any of forum rules. a mod edits the thread with "extra rules" that they think will make the game thread "better". however, user does not like that and does not want those extra rules on their game thread and they want them removed. but, the mod does not agree and forces these extra rules to stay in the thread with their power.

so, the question is can a mod do that? can they use their power and take and action for something not violating any rule? i was told they apparently can, so i was kinda asking for confirmation on this.. and requesting -if it is true- to have a disclaimer written in forum rules that a mod can take actions for things not mentioned in the rules at their own discretion if they deem it necessary or beneficial.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• Gandalof wrote:

you can still voice your personal opinion regardless. this isn't a "question to moderation team" thread, this is an open discussion thread.
      Yes, though I don't want to say anything wrong and accidentally mislead anyone. Forum matters, particularly regarding forum rules and moderation, can really only be answered by a moderator.

Gandalof wrote:

i'm not sure how would anyone would be able to avoid punishment with the knowledge i inquired about.also one thing to add since you mentioned "players" in what you wrote, so i assume you're talking about this from an in-game gm perspective. i made this thread purely about the forum rules. game rules, gms, players.. or anything else related to the game is not a point of concern in this thread.

that's good to know. thanks
      now with that knowledge i can get around the rules and avoid punishment muhahahah.. apparently
      A precise listing defining exactly what a particular team member (both GM and moderators) can and cannot do, or the methods used by the team, could be used by few to try to avoid possible punishment. Whilst I appreciate that you likely weren't asking for anything remotely this detailed or specific, I'm just trying to suggest one possible reason as to why current lists of team-member roles (like the one I linked earlier) are broader and more general.

And yep, I suppose I am viewing it more from a GM perspective - though only because I do want to help and contribute if I can, but, as my forum knowledge is limited, I can only really help with the more general team points.

Gandalof wrote:

well.. let me give you this purely hypothetical situation that did not happen at all, it is just an example:
      user makes a game thread in world of spam that does not break any of forum rules. a mod edits the thread with "extra rules" that they think will make the game thread "better". however, user does not like that and does not want those extra rules on their game thread and they want them removed. but, the mod does not agree and forces these extra rules to stay in the thread with their power.

so, the question is can a mod do that? can they use their power and take and action for something not violating any rule? i was told they apparently can, so i was kinda asking for confirmation on this.. and requesting -if it is true- to have a disclaimer written in forum rules that a mod can take actions for things not mentioned in the rules at their own discretion if they deem it necessary or beneficial.
      As I'm not a mod, it wouldn't be for me to say. Hopefully a moderator will be able to answer your question soon!
    • seems like there is not much interest from people to talk about this. oh well, i tried. thank you pikna and cherish for your contribution.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• Gandalof wrote:

seems like there is not much interest from people to talk about this. oh well, i tried. thank you pikna and cherish for your contribution.
      Well most of us (Teamlers) were not really around during the weekend as you may have noticed, so give us some time to get rid of the alcohol and get proper sleep lul
    • Morgoth wrote:

Gandalof wrote:

seems like there is not much interest from people to talk about this. oh well, i tried. thank you pikna and cherish for your contribution.
      Well most of us (Teamlers) were not really around during the weekend as you may have noticed, so give us some time to get rid of the alcohol and get proper sleep lul
      that's fine, no rush here. i was just disappointed that other members didn't care about this at all. i wanted to see what most users think about these rules, and discuss them

unless they were also invited to your party and im the only one left out. then we'll have a real issue

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• Gandalof wrote:

nothing wrong with this, just that it's redundant. because it is already mentioned that you're only allowed to have one account.
      Best to make it clear just so people won't think it's ok to make a forum account when their previous one was/is banned (And considering it already happened once yeah..)

Gandalof wrote:

when is this thread opening again? there is like 100 mods now. and all requests been fulfilled.
      When the upgrade for WBB5 comes... Soontrademark.png...

Gandalof wrote:

if this includes text in images posted, please state that. also is a phrase or few words in other languages allowed or not?
      I guess 1 additional word to include "Pictures and videos" wouldn't hurt so agreed.

Gandalof wrote:

i personally feel like censoring or abbreviating a "bad word" should be allowed.
      This is not allowed even in-game, It is still offensive to insult someone like that. And doesn't really change something in my opinion [Insert first letter of an insult here]**** < I don't really see a reason for someone to not feel insulted/offended just because there are stars instead of the actual word but get offended/feel insulted when the full word is written.
      Be more polite, don't insult in any form.

Gandalof wrote:

i don't understand why bumping is absolutely not allowed. in all other forums i've been to, it is allowed within certain conditions. (e.g can't bump threads older than X days, can't bump a thread unless X amount have passed.. etc)
      No clue either to be honest, I guess if people don't care about a thread doesn't matter if you keep bumping it for no reason? and just get additional spam/posts? This is just a guess though.

Gandalof wrote:

again, i dont really understand this rule. never seen this in other forums. and i'm not sure what this accomplishes. if it's to stop spam then the rule should be changed to something different imo. as there are legitimate reason for a user to make 2 posts in a row that are not considered to be spam.
      I am not sure, it could end up being kind of annoying if a thread ends up like a facebook chat.
      User A #1 post: Hi lol
      User A #2 post: how are
      User A #3 post: you
      User A #4 post: all good?
      User A #5 post: I am chilling
      User B #1 post: xD yeah I am fine
      User B #2 post: wby?
      Etc.
      We have the edit function for a reason though. (I can agree though that we often miss some edits)

Gandalof wrote:

this is way too vague. how do you define what's distracting? and why would that be even an issue?
      I guess like those rainbow flashing lights kind of animations that could create serious issues to people who got certain health problems or mental or how those problems are called.
      We can't really tell what could trigger such an issue for someone 100% so I guess too fast animations and some top weird ones for sure are a no-go.

Gandalof wrote:

this makes sense for some threads. but imo this shouldn't a rule that applies to the whole world of spam section, see my argument above.
      if a game thread needs this rule for it to function better, then that rule could be added in that thread itself.
      In that case you can ask a moderator if it would be ok for that to happen, and you can add a rule in that thread "Approved by a mod this rule is not in effect here: bla bla" or even better the mod himself can do that to avoid any kind of confusion.

Gandalof wrote:

maybe this was needed in 2008 when these rules are made? idk. but what i do know that it definitely shouldn't be a rule now in 2019. it isn't even enforced at all (aside from using it as an excuse to target ban) so i feel like this rule should be removed.
      XD I couldn't keep a straight face when I quoted that rule to be honest, but yeah it won't get you banned anyway I just went like "I am gonna quote every rule that was broken".
      But I agree that (if not removed) the sizes should get bigger at least.
      Some really huge pictures though do annoy some people (I have had some complaints)

Gandalof wrote:

I don't see an issue with making it more clear so yeah.
    • Morgoth wrote:

This is not allowed even in-game, It is still offensive to insult someone like that. And doesn't really change something in my opinion [Insert first letter of an insult here]**** < I don't really see a reason for someone to not feel insulted/offended just because there are stars instead of the actual word but get offended/feel insulted when the full word is written.
      Be more polite, don't insult in any form.
      i agree with you on this completely.

my only concern is.. because of how it's worded, i can't say something like "wtf" (pls dun ban me) as an expression of being surprised or something like "this is crazy". or anything else that is a "bad word" but not used in the context of insulting someone.

Morgoth wrote:

I am not sure, it could end up being kind of annoying if a thread ends up like a facebook chat.
      User A #1 post: Hi lol
      User A #2 post: how are
      User A #3 post: you
      User A #4 post: all good?
      User A #5 post: I am chilling
      User B #1 post: xD yeah I am fine
      User B #2 post: wby?
      Etc.
      We have the edit function for a reason though. (I can agree though that we often miss some edits)
      then this would be spam. as you said, edits are oftern missed. and double posting doesn't mean it will be spam like your example was. there are many legitimate uses of posting twice in a row that wouldn't be spam.

Morgoth wrote:

I guess like those rainbow flashing lights kind of animations that could create serious issues to people who got certain health problems or mental or how those problems are called.
      We can't really tell what could trigger such an issue for someone 100% so I guess too fast animations and some top weird ones for sure are a no-go.
      ok sure, but tell me how does one would get all that just from "not distracting"? the rule is too vague and needs to mention those things for the sake of clarity.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• Gandalof wrote:

my only concern is.. because of how it's worded, i can't say something like "wtf" (pls dun ban me) as an expression of being surprised or something like "this is crazy". or anything else that is a "bad word" but not used in the context of insulting someone.
      I usually let that expression slide to be honest, I agree tho that when not insulting someone and the word used is not something extreme it should be somewhat ok. The only issue is that we claim to be PG12 (or w.e it is nowdays) and I assume there are several laws to be followed for this.

Gandalof wrote:

then this would be spam. as you said, edits are oftern missed. and double posting doesn't mean it will be spam like your example was. there are many legitimate uses of posting twice in a row that wouldn't be spam.
      But then by removing that rule some smarty user can be like "mod you cant punish me nothing prevents me from doing this [insert w.e the user wants to do]" The only reason some rules exist is because some smarty user screwed all of us at some point in those 12 or so years.
      And removing a rule even after some decent years pass is not really a thing, evidence that it happened at least once exist and so the rule will be there so it never happens again.
      In short, we don't trust that all the users will behave.
      I think I kind of sidetracked and went more general rather than focus on the spam rule <.<

Gandalof wrote:

ok sure, but tell me how does one would get all that just from "not distracting"? the rule is too vague and needs to mention those things for the sake of clarity.
      Apparently just to keep the rules short so people will read them easier? I personally don't agree with that form of logic the rules need to be as clear as possible if someone is bored to read it's their problem not ours.
    • Morgoth wrote:

I usually let that expression slide to be honest, I agree tho that when not insulting someone and the word used is not something extreme it should be somewhat ok. The only issue is that we claim to be PG12 (or w.e it is nowdays) and I assume there are several laws to be followed for this.
      well don't quote me on this, but i see movies or other form of medias with PG13 ratings have curse words censored. so i assume that isn't an issue.

Morgoth wrote:

But then by removing that rule some smarty user can be like "mod you cant punish me nothing prevents me from doing this [insert w.e the user wants to do]" The only reason some rules exist is because some smarty user screwed all of us at some point in those 12 or so years.
      And removing a rule even after some decent years pass is not really a thing, evidence that it happened at least once exist and so the rule will be there so it never happens again.
      In short, we don't trust that all the users will behave.
      this is why i said:

Gandalof wrote:

if it's to stop spam then the rule should be changed to something different imo.
      i'm just saying this rule.. the way it is right now, has more consequence than just blocking spam.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• Just wanted to go over the parts in your first post even though Morgoth I think covered most of it pretty well.

A bit about the rules: we had very detailed rules that were extremely long and one of our COMAs (not lady) told us it was to long and we had to condense them. Partly due to this some things were not explains or omitted and some things were doubled.

Gandalof wrote:

hey, so i was considering few things about the current rules of the forums and i wanted to discuss them with you guys. i'll only quote the rules that i want to talk about, but feel free to state your opinion about other rules i didn't mention.

link to forum rules
      link to world of spam rule

Forum Rules:
      If you already have a ban on your account, it is not allowed to create a new account.

This is one of the redundant parts of the old rules that stayed. It is mostly there because people will make new accounts to complain about a ban instead of use the ticket system. I guess I should add if it isn't already there that you need to use the ticket system for bans.

as Morgoth said due to some technical issues we can not change names till the forum "upgrade" to wbb5. I have no word on when this upgrade will be. Also only smod and above can actually change names so it would still fall onto myself and Luxx.

[/quote]

will add (when approved) the phrase Pictures and Videos for this rule as well.

technically we are suppose to remove anything that is not in English on these forums even if it is a phrase. I have tried to be lenient about this as I know there are meme's with other language phrases that most people understand or that sometimes it is easier to just use the user's native language. We've also allowed Spanish and German before as long as translations are provided as our team has people who can speak both of those languages (though I think the majority of the Spanish ones are gone now).

this is a rule that is the same on most GF forums where you can only type in he language that they use in that version. Same with ingame chats.

this is not allowed ingame or on forums as a GF wide rule. Nothing I can really do about this.

this is one of those rules that was shortened. Generally we do not allow bumping because it really serves no purpose but to increase one's post count. When we were remaking the rules a few years ago we had an issue with users purposefully bumping posts to keep it as the top for no reason but they wanted their thread at the top (as in they were still on the first page). We also had an issue with people constantly bumping sale threads not that it is an issue now.

This is also used in DE rules as well except they use "Pushing" instead of Bumping.

this is mostly there due to people double posting galore instead of just editing a post even if they just made it.

basically what Morgoth mentions. I will not put examples in case we do have people with these issues but will try to describe it more.

World of spam Rules:
      this makes sense for some threads. but imo this shouldn't a rule that applies to the whole world of spam section, see my argument above.if a game thread needs this rule for it to function better, then that rule could be added in that thread itself.

as Morgoth said if a thread needs a different rule then we can add it in for that thread. Reason this is here is basically the same issue we saw with the two brothers who spammed for 10+ pages of one then the other talking. We had users every 10mins or so playing the counting games solo because others were not around.

have to remember people also have data limits and slower internet. Not everyone has a ton of data/fast net and we would like them to be able to see the forum without a signature or two slowing down the whole page. Infact we had a ton of people complaing when we updated it to 100 kb (though I guess we should increase this nowdays lol).

I will see if I can do something towards this. I know we had a thread for a while.

oh here is the thread: board.en.nostale.gameforge.com…is-Who-in-the-Forum-Team/

something like this?

edit:

also want to point out what Morgoth as basically being the same as my ideas on most of that lol said let's talk about the forum rules
    • kitcalie wrote:

this is mostly there due to people double posting galore instead of just editing a post even if they just made it.

kitcalie wrote:

as Morgoth said if a thread needs a different rule then we can add it in for that thread. Reason this is here is basically the same issue we saw with the two brothers who spammed for 10+ pages of one then the other talking. We had users every 10mins or so playing the counting games solo because others were not around.
      as i said earlier i think there are legitimate reasons for it, and misuse of a double/multiple post that becomes a spam.. can fall under a rule against spam. the point i'm trying to make is.. you know, someone who want to intentionally spam will do it regardless of what the rule is. so making the rule against spam itself or excessive posting would be better imo

also for the second quote, you're basically disagreeing with what morgoth said on this one lol. he basically said a rule could be excluded in a specific thread if needed (in this case we're talking about double posting)... i guess an example for this case would be a game thread like "how long can you count by yourself" or something like that.. where double posting has to be allowed or the game thread doesn't make sense/ can't function properly.

so essentially, you said what i said.. that a rule could be added to specific threads rather than making it a forum-wide rule. and an example for that is as you provided, the case where 2 brothers spammed lpw by themselves, so to prevent that.. a rule exclusive to lpw thread only was added rather than making it apply to the whole world of spam section.

kitcalie wrote:

have to remember people also have data limits and slower internet. Not everyone has a ton of data/fast net and we would like them to be able to see the forum without a signature or two slowing down the whole page. Infact we had a ton of people complaing when we updated it to 100 kb (though I guess we should increase this nowdays lol).
      well sure, there are data caps and some people with slow internet relative to other people, but the limitation of 400x400 100kb is ridiculous in today's standards even for those with the worst internet available. and those complaints shouldn't be valid anymore since they were made in 2008 (sry og ppl, but u should have a better internet by now)

increasing it to a reasonable size is a fair compromise, but i advocate for its removal because i don't think it's really needed. and will just be annoying for users to have to worry about meeting the requirements for every single image they want to post. also, as it's not enforced anyway.. it basically doesn't even exist right now, so why bother?

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• this is de's signature restrictions

The signature serves as a signature and not as a homepage. It should be correspondingly small.
      - Height: 200 px
      - Width: 500 px
      - File size always: 200 kb
      Images housed in a spoiler are not included in the size limit.
      The limitation of the resolution refers to the displayed image in the signature. Furthermore, text is allowed in the following restriction:
      1 line in font size 18, 2 lines in font size 14, 4 lines in font size 12, 5 lines in font size 10, or 6 lines in font size 8; if an image is included, which is not accommodated in a spoiler: two lines less. Font sizes over size 18 are not allowed.

want something like that?

we can just say to put images that are not signatures in spoilers or put a limit on how many can be in a post like spam has 5?
    • kitcalie wrote:

this is de's signature restrictions

The signature serves as a signature and not as a homepage. It should be correspondingly small.
      - Height: 200 px
      - Width: 500 px
      - File size always: 200 kb
      Images housed in a spoiler are not included in the size limit.
      The limitation of the resolution refers to the displayed image in the signature. Furthermore, text is allowed in the following restriction:
      1 line in font size 18, 2 lines in font size 14, 4 lines in font size 12, 5 lines in font size 10, or 6 lines in font size 8; if an image is included, which is not accommodated in a spoiler: two lines less. Font sizes over size 18 are not allowed.
      want something like that?
      i think there is a bit of misunderstanding here. i personally don't have an issue regarding signature rule aside from "not distracting" being vague. the image in signatures get auto resized, so it never really bothered me.

as for changing it to what you wrote.. i don't really mind.

kitcalie wrote:

we can just say to put images that are not signatures in spoilers or put a limit on how many can be in a post like spam has 5?
      i'm not sure im quite following you on this.

to clarify things, we do not have a rule about images in the forums rules (as far as i can see). and i don't believe a rule for that is needed either.

however, we have a rule for world of spam about images. which restricts images in posts to 400x400 and 100kb. my concern was with this rule, not the signature one. and i've already made my arguments as to why i'm against it so i don't think that i need to repeat myself.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ

• What's so hard on replacing *distracting* with what actually counts as distracting,it dosent have to be an 3 page essay just some exemple's to get the idea. (written/not images).
      Also what's the point on keeping a rule that nobody respects/gets punished for anyway ? Might aswell reduce the restriction to a bigger size regardless of what the minority thinks about.
      Im pretty sure in this day and age image size shouldn't be a problem unless the guy trolls with a ridiculous image size but I doubt that will happen anyway.
      All we are asking is that the requirements to be adjusted for the year we are living in, hence nobody really punish anybody for that rule whats the point of being there anyway ?
      ~All the things she said ~
      ~All the things she said~
    • Pinkamena wrote:

What's so hard on replacing *distracting* with what actually counts as distracting,it dosent have to be an 3 page essay just some exemple's to get the idea. (written/not images).
      she already addressed that:

kitcalie wrote:

basically what Morgoth mentions. I will not put examples in case we do have people with these issues but will try to describe it more.

as for the rest of your comment, yeah i agree.. i made similar argument to yours.

Chinese 破壞龍 鋼多拉

Korean 파괴룡 간드라

Japanese (base) 破壊竜ガンドラ